GTTI is one of the Gambia Government subvention tertiary institutions. It was established by an Act of Parliament in 1980. The institute began operations in 1983 with the provision of Craft Level Programmes in a variety of technical and commercial disciplines, through the City and Guilds of London Institute (CGLI) AAT, ABE and Pitman Qualification in the case of the later.
Since it’s establishment, it has expanded its initial range and level of provision to a position where it is the only institution placed in the highest category (C3) in 1992. This was as a result of a survey of Vocational Education and Training establishments conducted by the Directorate of Technical Education and Vocational Tainting of the Department of State for Education.
Over the past 20 years GTTI has provided a range of and different levels of programmes, which have been guided by obtaining information from a variety of sources, notabling:
- Feedback from local and national network and links
- Tracer studies of GTTI graduates
- Research in the informal sector
- Taking note of population trends and Policies
- Measures being adopted by government towards economics, education, training and industry.
Gambia Technical Training Institute
P.O. Box 989, Kanifing Industrial Estate, Banjul